The target for the percentage of young people formerly looked after with whom the authority is in contact, who are known to be engaged in education, training or employment at the age of 19 is 55%.
This is measured by SCC/033(f) “The percentage of young people formerly looked after with whom the authority is in contact, who are known to be engaged in education, training or employment at the age of 19.”
In 2014/15 the target figure was 55%. We achieved 64%. (9 out of 14 Care Leavers)
The figure for 2015/16 was 54.17% (13 out of 24 Care leavers), which is below target but within the tolerance level.
It should be noted that as the numbers are so small, just one or two cases can affect the percentage drastically.
Performance in this area had been highlighted by CSSIW in the past, and Conwy put together a comprehensive action plan to address the difficulties.
This included collaboration with:
- Career’s Wales (Requested a TRAC officer to be dedicated to Care Leavers)
- Llandrillo College (Monthly monitoring meetings)
- the ‘Let’s Get Working’ programme, and
- Conwy’s Education Department
- HR providing work opportunities and apprenticeships
- Regular NEET panels to ensure that we keep up to date with developments.
Cohorts of future Care Leavers are now being monitored closely and the monthly panels are helping to improve performance in this important area.