COG 5 identified a number of gaps in training around emotional wellbeing and mental health, the following approach was agreed:
- Multi-agency partnership approach in delivery
- Target appropriate staff for the right training
- Ensure it is cost effective and utilise existing resources as much as possible.
Training courses were arranged and delivered in partnership; Mental Health First Aid and Connecting with People.
- Mental Health First Aid – identified as an expensive course, an accredited partner delivered the course for free, utilised council premises and the resource books were purchased through the Public Health Wales Wellbeing Activity Grant.
- Connecting with People – A particular training need was identified around front line employees requiring training and support on how to deal with individuals threatening suicide whilst on the phone with members of Conwy County Borough Council staff.
The partnership approach from COG 5 demonstrated positive results, in reducing costs, sharing resources and utilising knowledge and expertise, and a potential cash saving of £7280 to the Local Authority.
This post is also available in: Welsh